Thursday, February 22, 2007

Imposition



A time of reflection,
burnt ashes from palms set afire,
words of anticipated renewal,
an awakening time.
Preparing fields for new harvests.
Fire
Water
Breath
Ashes

An Imposition and a Blessing
Cool ash on burning forehead

Words spoken aloud
last night in a room dimly lit
with candles
and searching souls.
A tin pail on a pedastle,
welcoming last year's palm fronds and memories,
drums, song, fire, reflection, water, smoke, offering,

Imposition,
Blessing.

Something to think about for at least forty days,
not including Sundays
-Peach


I listened and spoke the following offering last night.
The poet captured my feelings and I'd like to share these words with you:


You thumbed grit
into my furrowed brow.
Marking me
With the sign of mortality.
The dust of last year's palms.
The cross you traced
Seared, smuded skin,
And I recalled
other ashes
Etched
into my heart
By those who loved too little
Or not at all.

(I couln't have said it better, thank you to Elizabeth-Anne Bariek for
"You thumbed grit"




-'You thumbed grit' by Elizabeth-Anne Bariek
from a Lent Sourcebook (Chicago Liturgy Traing Publications, 1990).

No comments: