Monday, January 22, 2007

Catch a Tiger, by the Toe





























Tigers jump through flaming hoops
Eeny, me-knee, mine-y MORE!
Will he holler?
Shall I let him go?
NO.

When I was I child, I spake as a child
I was Princess, Pumpkin, Sweet Pea, Mousie, TIGER.
Pet names
appropriate for an untamed little lady in shorts and braids.

I wonder what you'll call me
when you pet me?

Putting away childish things.
Reaching, stretching to catch the brass ring.
Spin me
Dazzle me
hold me close and warmly
Show me sights I've never seen

If I've seen them
show me a new way of looking and feeling them

Nubile, yes?
New? no.
I am fresh with possibility
You are like a brisk new breeze blowing open a swollen wooden door

I?
am an
open
picture book
Enjoy me
as I enjoy even contemplating
the structure of you

You?
plot lines full of twists and turns
like an expertly choreographed ballet
I love the dance
I
am
Moving
on
to put away
childish things

Where do I make a start, a spark?
Begin at the beginning
Stepping out
No more hoop skirts
Unless I want to wear hoop skirts
I still like dress up
I won't outgrow
that
Maybe
Hoops in my ears
and higher hemlines

Obviously long boots
Puss in Boots?
In order to look you in the eyes
directly and questioningly

Long fitted jackets
with pockets for large warm hands that don't belong to me.

Shoes?
Patent leather, no,
not unless they're high high heels,
shining and towering above the pavement
What to do about walking in country mud?
I need a hard ground for pacing. A real foundation.

Spikes and clouds don't always mix,
but I've been wrong before.
Eyes wide open
until I can rest
softly in strong arms.
Footsie?
I love it
Brush past me again with a tender hug that lingers

arm gliding softly across my unbound torso
Oh,

Oh, I could have grasped it
and held it tight to me
but I didn't
Insecurity
It was a test
Okay
I test you too
Every moment
in my mind's eye
despite my heart's knowledge
My true heart has never misled me

It was impossible not to touch you
I craved your skin
I'm not sorry
I misbehaved.
Electricity does not confound me
your absence does.

My chest still tingles
my eyes still water
I see glinting lights.
Heavens exploded
still
unexplored.

I ache and
I rest
Moving on
Sorting through
cleaning up
Making a start
For me
not for you
Maybe because of you

You are there
I am left behind
but never truly alone
I know you're out there
God, are you out there!

I feel peace when you cross my mind
I feel centered when I hear your voice
I feel home when folded into you

Jacob's ladder
watch it switch and turn
endlessly
over and over again

Graces?
How many graces?
Nearly every breath a blessing and prayer of gratitude
You catch my breath
you caught me
my thin hoop on a peg

Fox and Geese?
You chase me
I chase you
Grown up duck, duck, goose
Evolving solitaire
I like solitaire
I challenge myself to beat the game
ever increasing stakes
Not competitive
I want to play with you

I love taking turns
You turn me
you turn me right round

I lose myself
I don't mind being lost with a worthy guide at my side
I could take your lead
I could
without losing myself
ever
I could listen
I could follow
I wouldn't disappear

for more than a moment

Hide and seek
I see you.
Am I it?
Are you?

Whose turn is it now?

All little girls go through a horsey phase
Practice for show
Ride for pleasure
See a fine lady upon a white horse
with rings on her fingers and bells on her toes

Be my Banbury Cross
I want to make music
wherever this goes.

No comments: